The Program Manager is a recognized expert in managing complex, risky and business critical projects which have a broad impact on the vaccine business unit (VBU).
(1) establishes and leads global, multi-disciplinary project teams from initiation to closure to achieve the program’s strategic objectives;
(2) Supports the application of appropriate alliance management methodologies and systems;
(3) contributes to the development and implementation of project management standards and best practices within VO;
(4) works closely and collaborates with VO functions and with other functions within VBU (Regulatory, Clinical, Quality) to create end to end integrated project plans.
· Works closely with functional staff across all facets of vaccine product development and is responsible for end to end project success: from scoping, developing workplans for successful implementation, risk and change management, budget management and performance measurement.
· Effectively engages with key stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure timely implementation of project objectives. Identifies interdependencies and connections between departments and ensures integrated end to end visibility and alignment.
· Orchestrates daily activities to define and manage critical path, proactively identifies and escalates issues and helps resolve them.
· Maintains detailed project documentation for knowledge management.
· Support the strategic definition, creation, documentation and maintenance of project management standards, processes and tools and develop and promote the use of PMO best practices across VO.
· Demonstrate strategic thought and resource planning to support multi-geographic programs and personnel.
· Drive the rigor with which we manage programs through the use of both project management best practices and technical program development via the appropriate application of Quality by Design (QbD).
· Ensure that VO tactical execution and related budget plans are developed and maintained and that information is effectively utilized by the VO leadership team.
· Identify issues and obstacles that could impact the timely completion of VO deliverables and resolve them with team members and/or the relevant functional management.
· Identify and communicate opportunities for change; plans for team to meet new challenges.
· Bachelor’s degree in science or business-related field
· Minimum 7 years of project management experience within the pharmaceutical industry in the area of CMC or research and development
· Experience implementing systems and processes for support of cross-functional activities
· Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate/present key information to senior management
· Demonstrated ability to build consensus and drive resolution of issues while maintaining positive working relationships across functions
· Demonstrated leadership skills managing matrix teams, influencing outcomes and key project decisions
· Experience establishing and managing global teams across geographic regions
· Experience with Quality by Design (QbD)
Knowledge and Skills:
· Ability to assess business needs and apply process and systems-based solutionsand take initiatives from concept to completion
· Ability to work across geographic areas with sensitivity to cultural differences
· Ability to establish and articulate processes which impact cross-functionally
· Ability to recognize problems before they occur, to appropriately raise issues to management, to bring an insightful approach to problem solving, and to communicate issues to stakeholders in a mature, professional manner
· Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project
· Problem solving – ability to think through problems and propose solutions to complex problems
· Strategic thinking – ability to approach specific issues/problems with understanding of the larger context
· Strong communication skills – written and verbal
· Strong organizational skills
· Negotiation and strong persuasive abilities
· Excellent collaboration and cross-functional team building skills
· Management skills – ability to handle a variety of diverse tasks simultaneously while achieving deadlines.
· Presentation – ability to present information in a clear and concise manner
· Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural, global team structure
· Ability to develop, articulate and establish processes which impact cross-functionally.
· Demonstrate a high degree of self-awareness, self-motivation, initiative, and attention to detail